Wednesday, March 7, 2012

I thought of this story last night and I had to write it down before I forgot it. For those of you who have read my novella (I don't plan on publishing it), you may recognize Alex's voice telling this story, though it's a bit grimmer than most stories he would tell.

FOR THE SAKE OF A TITLE.
Two men (not really friends, more acquaintances) were spending some time together one day.  For the sake of this story we shall call one of them Mark and the other one Ben.  Mark was built like a quarterback with broad shoulders, big frame and strong muscles, the works. This was a bit remarkable because Mark had never really played much football, he stayed in shape by frequently exercising at the local gym.  Ben was Mark’s opposite in almost every way (except for the fact that he was not female).  Ben was short, wore glasses and not too strong, he looked like the stereotypical geek/nerd. 
            For their activity they had decided to go to the shooting range.  Two men just shooting targets just basically having a good time.  Mark was better than Ben, but Ben wasn’t bad either.  As they were finishing their last round Ben turned his gun on Mark. 
            “For the longest time I thought I was the best shooter around here, but you proved me wrong.” Ben told him.  “My dream, ever since I remember, was to be the better than everyone else with a gun, to surpass everyone else’s skill. I wanted the title of Best Gunslinger.  I have trained endlessly to achieve this, but today you have proved that you are even better than me.”
            “It’s not that big a deal, Ben” Mark replied. “I can help you become just as good as I am, there are only a few modifications you would need to make.  Who is a better shot with a gun is nothing to kill someone else over.  Come on, set the gun down.”
            “Mark it may not be a big deal to you, but you have nearly crushed my dream,” Ben explained. “I don’t want to be as good as someone else, I want to be better.  The only way I can regain my status of being the fasted draw, the best shot, the best with a gun all around is to kill you.”
            Before Mark could say another word Ben shot him. Mark lay there on the ground dying and Ben walked away, content. Ben was, once again, the best with a gun . . . for now.
             
           The Moral of the story is: Don’t let anyone or anything stand in the way of your dreams. :D

1 comment:

  1. I find this pretty funny and seriously morbid. I might also put in a little story from the first to second paragraph on why they would be at a shooting range together. Are they friends. Which type of friends. Did they just happen to meet at the range randomly.

    Perhaps add a little more dialogue between Mark and Ben.

    My suggestion would be Have Mark impart some glorified end statement that either shakes Ben to his bone or that adds to Marks insecurity like that he was a virgin or something.

    Otherwise I really enjoyed the story. I like your writing. Its full of twists. I enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete